Royal Saxon State Hospital
|Royal Saxon State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Peak Patient Population||1,507 in 1955|
On 25 July 1893 was the inauguration and opening of the "Royal Saxon State Hospital and Nursing Home for the mentally ill to Untergöltzsch" instead. The design and construction of this facility was in the redesign of the state from 1887 to 1895 being misled in the Kingdom of Saxony. Due to increasing overcrowding of state institutes of the state parliament in Dresden decided in the legislative period 1888/89 to build a new medical and nursing home for the mentally ill. When choosing the location, there was still inadequate mental health care in the southwest of the country, so in the Erzgebirge and the Vogtland consideration. The prison was designed to accommodate 600 patients.
In 1890 the institution had to be expanded structurally and 1913 caused 41 buildings. Thus, the latest time for this architectural concept for psychiatric facilities has been realized. The institute began at that time to heal with modern and humane treatment and to respect the dignity of the sick. The institution had a good environment and social therapy. Further, as of extramural work therapy. The progressive institution acquired at home and a good reputation abroad. Among the most famous visitors to King Frederick Augustus of Saxony were at 02 July 1908 and Robert Koch.
In the 1st World War, the end of 1917, had all the sick of the institution to the other institutions of Saxony Untergöltzsch be distributed, because the military government claimed the house as a military hospital. From 1920, the institution was returned to its proper purpose. It was primarily to eliminate the ravages of war. The continuing medical understaffing was a partial reason why the late 20s and early 30s the Verwahrprinzip to regain the upper hand loomed.
With the establishment of a fascist dictatorship collapsed in 1933 in Germany and in psychiatry at the darkest chapter in history. Institutions in the country there were limitations to the open and liberal treatment of mental illness. Height of the violence against the mentally ill and the disabled were the actions of mass destruction. During the 2nd World War, the treatment and housing conditions for the sick deteriorated continuously. The end of the second World War II, the institution Untergöltzsch wore again the character of a Verwahreinrichtung.
After completion of the second World War II was started in the State Hospital and Nursing Home Untergöltzsch with the reconstruction. The workers were concerned the reputation of the institution quickly restored. War damage to the buildings have been removed and secured the supply of heating fuels, food and medicine. As soon could already 450 patients are cared for. From 1947 to 1956, the Agency shall be named "hospitals Rodewisch". Despite shortage of doctors and nurses, the number of patients steadily rose; 1949 there were 780, in 1955 more than 1507 in a facility originally planned 600 beds.
In 1956, the house was renamed "Hospital for Psychiatry and Neurology Rodewisch". As responsible for the institution of the District Council acted Karl-Marx-Stadt. From 1957, grew out of a ward for patients with chronic neuropathy modern diagnostic-therapeutic neurological department. You were an x-ray diagnostics, a neuro-electric diagnostics, physiotherapy and a neurochemical laboratory.In 1957, the Department of a continuous follow-up was opened by stationary discharged patients. The hospital had developed into a highly specialized hospital with a good reputation at home and abroad. In appreciation of this merits Rodewisch was as the venue for the 1st International Symposium on Psychiatric Rehabilitation selected. This took place from 23 to 25 Held in May 1963. It took him some 120 doctors and scientists from 9 countries. Climax and conclusion of the symposium was adopted unanimously adopted science-based treatment recommendations that should be remembered as "Rodewischer Theses" in the history of psychiatry.
In 1964, the specialist hospital the status of a district hospital specialist in psychiatry and neurology and served as a guiding device of the district. In April 1966, the hospital built in 1954 in the Child and adolescent psychiatric department was moved to Bad Reiboldsgrün. In November 1966, the day hospital and 16 December 1976 opened the psychotherapeutic department. The bed capacity was reduced to 1975 to around 1100.
On 01.01.1978 from the women's division II emerged the woman Psychiatric Department. The department received a gerontopsychiatric profile and also in their treatment of addicted women was established. At the time of the events of 1989, the hospital had 933 beds and was responsible for the supply of 14 to 15 counties. Until 1993, the 100th anniversary of the facility, the bed inventory decreased by loosening and deinstitutionalization of 933 to 635. At the same time, the workforce increased in almost all occupational groups of 370 to 429. With a ceremony at 08 October 1993 celebrated the 100th anniversary of the establishment with the staff and various guests. The Saxon State Minister, Dr. Hans Geisler argued that psychiatry and hence the SHA are in Rodewisch a structural change.
The following years were characterized by a building boom. Starting in 1999 with the construction project "Rehabilitation of supply and disposal lines". The costs amounted to DM 13.6 million scale