Philipsburg State Hospital
|Philipsburg State Hospital|
|Building Style||Single Building|
NOTE: Philipsburg State Hospital was one of many hospitals that Pennsylvania established for coal miners, these hospitals were also referred to as State General Hospitals, this hospital was not a psychiatric facility.
Founded as a state hospital for miners, the original hospital building was demolished sometime in the early 20th century. The current brick building was built in the 1930s. Over the years the building was added onto several times. As of 2011 the hospital covers about 20,000 square feet on nearly 15 acres in Philipsburg Pennsylvania. It includes 14 buildings and other structures, the oldest of which dates to 1922. The state ran the hospital until 1991 when it was closed.
A community group was able to reopen the hospital after the state closed it, they renamed it Philipsburg Area Hospital. The hospital was closed again in 2006 when administrators filed for bankruptcy and could not fulfill the agreements of the bankruptcy. After the second closure an area doctor named Larry Adams tried to reopen the hospital for a third time but was arrested on June 12, 2007 on drug charges. Ownership of the hospital reverted back to the state which put the hospital up for sale in 2010 for $500,000. When no bidders came forward, the state cut the price to $225,000 and again put the property up for sale, setting a deadline of June 30, 2010 for potential buyers to come forward.
As of July 2011 the hospital still awaits a buyer. Hazardous materials contained in the buildings and around the property hinder the sale process as well as escalate the cost to demolish the buildings. The state currently has no plans to do anything with the property if it isn't purchased.
Images of Philipsburg State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Philipsburg State Hospital