Paris TB Hospital
|Paris TB Hospital|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Peak Patient Population||200 est. late 1950s|
In an effort to combat tuberculosis in Kentucky, a site selection commission reviewed applications for locations of the proposed network of 5 sanatoria throughout 1944. Ultimately, Paris, Kentucky, was chosen as the site for one of the sanatoriums. The Paris location was one of five new sanatoria to open in Kentucky in 1950. The Paris Tuberculosis Sanatorium serviced the region for about 15 years before the threat of the disease finally diminished.
The Paris Tuberculosis Sanatorium complex consisted of six total buildings, including the main hospital building, the laundry/boiler facility, the director’s residence, the nurses’ residence, a staff residence, and a modern maintenance building added to the site after its initial construction. The hospital complex has been determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The Bourbon County Fiscal Court used federal funds to demolish the structures.