Oak Hill Industrial Academy
|Oak Hill Industrial Academy|
In 1878, George M. Dallas, a carpenter, was employed by the Choctaw Freedman (African American slaves of the Choctaw given citizenship in 1880) to build a small frame school house on the southwest quarter of section 27. After its completion he taught that year the first term of week day school among the colored people of that section. Others that succeeded Dallas, as teachers in this frame school house, were Mary Rounds, Henry Williams and Lee Bibbs.
In 1884, Henry Williams transferred the day school to the “old log house” on the northeast quarter of section 29, a mile and a half northwest of the school house. The motive for this change was the fact there was no supply of good water near the school house, while at the new location there was a good well and a large vacant building available for use.