JT Berry State School
|JT Berry State School|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||North Reading, MA|
North Reading was opened for occupancy in July 1, 1909. The original bed capacity was 150 patients but was eventually increased to 298. The total number of buildings on the campus was eventually 23. In 1926 North Reading became a facility solely caring for and treating children with tuberculosis. In 1962 it closed as a Tuberculosis Sanatorium. It operated as Martin’s Brook Sanatorium and later as J.T. Berry Rehabilitation Center caring for the developmentally disabled. This facility was closed in 1995 and the property remained vacant. The more than 80 acre site was sold in ~2006 and has been developed into a 406 apartment complex called The Residences at Martin’s Brook.