Missouri State School and Hospital
|Missouri State School and Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
The Missouri State School was established by an act of the 40th General Assembly in 1899 and opened in 1901, with three buildings and sixty male patients. The city of Marshall gave 288 acres of land for the institution which, until 1925, was known as the Missouri State Colony for Feeble-minded and Epileptic. The 69th General Assembly authorized the purchase of 82 additional acres. Through the more than half-century of its existence, the institution has expanded until it is now comprised of three units at Marshall, Carrollton and Higginsville. The 70th General Assembly in 1959 designated the three units as the Marshall State School and Hospital, the Carrollton State School and Hospital, and the Higginsville State School and Hospital, with all three units operating under one superintendent.
Main Image Gallery: Missouri State School and Hospital