Larned State Hospital
|Larned State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Larned State Hospital was first opened on April 17th, 1914. The hospital was opened to ease overcrowding in two other established state hospitals in Kansas which were located in the eastern part of the state, Osawatomie State Hospital and Topeka State Hospital. The new ‘insane asylum’ at Larned was a preferred location because of the plentiful water supply. ‘Useful employment’ (farming) was the method of treatment to be used at LSH. In fact, early criteria critical to the selection of the first patients to populate the new hospital were being male, possessing the ability to work on the farm and being diagnosed as never becoming well enough to be discharged. No female patients were admitted until 1916. The farming operation continued until the 1950’s. Adolescents and children were not admitted until the late 1960’s and early 1970’s.
The State Security Program which was known as the program for the ‘criminally insane’ was first opened at LSH in March 27, 1939. It was and continues to be the only such forensic facility in Kansas.
The Sexual Predator Treatment Program was first opened at Larned in 1994. It continues to be the only such treatment program for Sexual Predators in Kansas.