Lake County Sanitarium
|Lake County Sanitarium|
|Opened||October 1, 1925|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||Crown Point, IN|
|Architecture Style||Colonial Revival Style|
|Peak Patient Population||275 in 1946|
The Lake County Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened a single building in 1925. Over the next several years, a campus developed, including a superintendent’s house and dormitory for nurses — all designed by East Chicago architect, Karl D. Norris in the then-popular Colonial Revival Style. After the sanatorium closed, the main building continued to serve as a hospital, then later as a facility for the Lake County Corrections Department. Christened as the Sheriff Lillian Holley Law Enforcement Center, the 1930 building is named for the county’s first and only female. Though it closed in 1976, many of the buildings remain, including a former staff dormitory headed toward reuse as a regional arts hub.