Julius Marks Sanitarium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Julius Marks Sanitarium
Opened 1917
Demolished 2002
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Lexington, KY
Alternate Names
  • Blue Grass Sanitorium
  • Fayette County Tuberculosis Sanitorium
  • Julius Marks Home


The hospital was opened in 1917 as Blue Grass Sanitorium, a treatment center for tuberculosis run by the Fayette County government. In 1924 Leo Marks gave $125,000 to the county to construct and equip new facilities for the hospital, which was renamed in honor of his father, Julius. Fayette County and the state continued to contribute funds. The opening of five state tuberculosis hospitals in 1948 caused the number of patients at Julius Marks to decline. These patients eventually were transferred to other state facilities and in 1961 Julius Marks became a home for the elderly and indigent patients in Fayette County replacing the county infirmary.