J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
|J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital|
|Established||December 13, 1909|
|Opened||September 13, 1912|
|Closed||1960 as a TB Sanatorium; |
1995 as a developmental center
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||John Hopper Coxhead|
|Architecture Style||Neo-Classical/Southern Plantation|
J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital is a former tuberculosis facility that was later converted into a developmental center in Perrysburg, NY.
Located in Western New York, J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital was built on a sloping hilltop surrounded by 500 acres of forest. With the "White Plague" running ramped in Buffalo, the major J. N. Adam decided to build a hospital dedicated to the treatment of tuberculosis in 1909. The major paid for the land to build a hospital the with his own money, and commissioned the architect John Hopper Coxhead to design the buildings.
The campus was designed to allow the fresh air and sun to heal tuberculosis patients using Dr. Rollier’s Method of Heliotherapy. Modeled after southern plantations, the red-brick buildings had ornamental columns and wide verandahs on each floor to provide patients with fresh open air to sleep in. The buildings consisted of a Administration building, two patient wings and a dining hall rotunda with a stained glass dome taken from the 1901 Pan-American Exposition’s Temple of Music.
J. N. Adam was used as a tubercular hospital until 1960 and then was turned over to the State of New York for use as a developmental disability center. By 1995, the institutional treatment of such disabilities had ended and the complex was abandoned.
Images of J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
Main Image Gallery: J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital
Additional Information & Links
- Friends of J. N. Adam Historic Landmark and Forest