Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanitorium
|Building Style||Single Building|
Ingham Medical Center’s roots date back to 1913 when it was founded as a 10-bed tuberculosis sanitorium. Opened two years later as the Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanitorium and staffed by three employees, the hospital rapidly expanded to meet the area’s growing health care needs. A 30-bed infirmary was built in 1924, and, six years later, a four-story brick building was constructed to accommodate 100 patients. By the late 1930s, the sanitorium was established as the chest surgical center for central and northern Michigan and as the tuberculosis facility for much of the state.
On Jan. 1, 1954, the name was changed to Ingham Chest Hospital, and a $600,000 expansion added private patient rooms, a surgical suite and administrative space. Tuberculosis cases decreased sharply as the decade moved on, and in 1958, with the disease finally under control, the hospital converted its beds to general usage. In 1960, the 170-bed hospital was renamed Ingham Medical Hospital.