Victor Cullen State Hospital
|Victor Cullen State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Architect(s)||Wyatt & Nolting|
The Victor Cullen Center is located in a rural area outside of Sabillasville, in Frederick County. The facility, originally named The Hilltop State Hospital, was built in 1907. It was the first state funded tuberculosis sanatorium in Maryland. It later became a State hospital and in 1965 became a reform school for boys. In 1967 the Cullen Academy was transferred and placed under the direction of Maryland’s Juvenile Services. The site contains approximately 500 acres. Most of the 30 buildings are within a security fence. The administration building is just inside the fence, with residential cottages along a loop drive farther from the gate. A gymnasium and modular school building are near the center of the campus. The administration building, the Cullen Building, was constructed in 1946. When last occupied by Juvenile Services, it housed offices on the first level, as well as a kitchen and dining facility in a wing that was added in 1955.
Images of Victor Cullen State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Victor Cullen State Hospital