Healey Asylum

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Healey Asylum
Construction Began 1892
Construction Ended 1983
Opened 1893
Closed 1959
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Architect(s) Jefferson Coburn
Location Ash Street, Lewiston, Maine
Alternate Names


The Healey Asylum opened in Lewiston Maine in 1983 under the Les Soeur de la Charite. The French-Canadian Sisters of Charity was a group of nuns who traveled from Montreal to Lewiston Maine to provide health and social support for the French-Canadian population in the area. Healey Asylum began as an orphanage and housed approximately 100 children, most of whom were in 5-7 years old. [1] Historical records suggest that it was debatable as to whether the facility cared specifically for children with mental health diseases.

Restoration efforts began in the new millennium to turn the asylum into affordable income housing. The project, now called Intown Manor, was lead by Sutherland Conservation and Consulting in Augusta Maine, worked with the National Park Service to design housing that maintained the building's historic character, while modernizing the facility into specialized housing. An informational portfolio from Sutherland explians:

"The rehabilitation project created 22 apartments with community rooms utilizing existing spaces in the main building and adjacent boiler and former laundry building, giving each unit a unique floor plan. The former chapel on the second floor was rehabilitated into two units while maintaining the decorative moldings and restoring those that had been nearly lost in previous renovations. The boiler house and former laundry building on the site now contains two apartments and offices for a non-profit community organization. The rehabilitation work meets Maine State Housing’s Green Building energy efficiency standards, with upgraded systems, new insulation, and solar panels."[2]

According to Bagala Window Works, a company based in Falmouth, ME working on the restoration:

"Bagala Window works is restoring original window sash as part of the transformation of this former children’s orphanage into 32 affordable elderly apartment units. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 and will be rehabilitated, in part, with tax credit equity from Historic Tax Credit (HTC) programs. All restoration work is being performed under the guidance of National Park Service standards." [3]



  1. Juliana L’Heureuxj, "Remembering Healey Asylum School in Lewiston," Portland Press Herald. August 23 2012. Accessed Digitally Dec 16 2013.
  2. Sutherland Conservation and Consulting, http://www.sutherlandcc.net/portfolio/TaxCredit/LewistonHealyAsylum.pdf. Accessed Digitally Dec 16th 2013.
  3. Bagala Window Works Restoration, http://bagalawindowworks.com/2011/07/17/the-healy-asylum-lewison-maine/. Accessed Digitally Dec 16th 2013.