Haloche Institute/Indian School
More than a century ago, around the time of statehood, The Indian Mission School Haloche Institute was opened in Taft, OKlahoma.
By 1909 the site became The Deaf, Blind and Orphan Institute, an orphanage for African American children, and the building would serve as various children's homes until the late 1980s.
The Dr. Eddie Warrior Correctional Center opened on the grounds on January 2, 1989 with 216 female minimum security inmates. The correctional center still uses one of the original buildings, built in 1909.