Graylands Mental Hospital
|Graylands Mental Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Mount Claremont, WA|
In 1972, the former Claremont Mental Hospital site was divided into two separate facilities, known as Swanbourne Hospital and Graylands Hospital. Both continued to provide psychiatric treatment until 1985 when Swanbourne Hospital was closed. The reduced site occupied by Graylands Hospital includes buildings constructed from 1910–11, the second phase of development of the original hospital. The earliest buildings constructed on the site are the Fortescue House group, comprising the former X Block wards, the former kitchen (Pastoral Centre) and former dining hall (Anderson Hall) as well as Gascoyne House.
In 1975 a new creative expression centre (Drysdale House) comprising offices, studios, pottery areas and other work areas was constructed at Graylands Hospital. Today this is known as Creative Expression and Centre for Art Therapy, or CECAT. In 1978 three further buildings were constructed, including a new manual training centre, a new administration block (Ord House) and an intensive therapy unit or secure unit (Wembley House; renamed Ashburton House in 1989). In the mid-1980s the old Claremont Hospital sports ground (including the old tuberculosis block) was sold, and John XXIII College was constructed on the site. The College retained one set of Graylands Hospital workshops as part of its development. In 1991 the Frankland Centre was opened at the Graylands campus to house the WA State Forensic Mental Health Service. Current use
Graylands Hospital is a fully accredited psychiatric teaching hospital, and has research and education facilities located on the campus. It is used as a major training facility for medical, nursing and other health professionals specialising in mental health. Other services at Graylands include the State Forensic Mental Health Service, the Psychiatric Services Library, and an art therapy centre and clinical services for young people.