Geauga County Infirmary
|Building Style||Single Building|
On March 15, 1839, the Geauga County Commissioners bought the original tract of land and hired a contractor to build the first home. Part of this original home is still standing. It is located behind the Superintendent's home, next to the present home. In 1875, the present, red brick home was built. It was designed to provide each resident with a single bedroom. Presently the home can house up to 36 men and women. Early county homes were working farms with the residents doing the bulk of the farm work. Today, residents are encouraged to share in daily chores, as well as caring for their rooms, to the extent possible. Staff are available to assist as needed.