Coton Hill Asylum
|Coton Hill Asylum|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||Fulljames and Waller|
The asylum was built by Lord Talbot in 1854 as an insane institution for the rich. It cost thirty thousand pounds, and was renovated two years later for twenty thousand pounds. The building stood in grounds of 30 acres, and was designed by Fulljames & Waller of Gloucester in a Gothic style. Originally it was built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for the Insane of Staffordshire and the Adjacent Counties. By 1880 the hospital had been extended. It was closed in 1975 and demolished in 1976, the grounds being taken into car parks for the newly constructed district general hospital. Only the mortuary (converted to two houses) and one lodge (hospital office) still stand, next to the road.