Coney Hill Hospital
|Coney Hill Hospital|
|Current Status||Demolished (Only Admin remains)|
|Building Style||Echelon Plan (Broad Arrow)|
|Architect(s)||Giles & Gough|
In 1878 the county bought an estate in Barnwood, east of Coney Hill, for the site of a new asylum. The new institution, designed on a block system by the firm of John Giles and Gough, was built between 1880 and 1884. It was governed by the county magistrates visiting the first asylum and was under the same medical superintendent. Surplus accommodation at the second asylum was used for paupers from other counties and until 1890 for private patients. In 1900 the asylums housed 1,059 patients. In the early 20th century there was further building at both, including a block opened at the second asylum in 1909.
At the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 the two county asylums became known as Horton Road Hospital and Coney Hill Hospital respectively. During the 1950s more buildings were provided for both hospitals, including a house in Denmark Road opened as a day hospital in 1958, and in the 1970s a unit for mentally handicapped patients was built at Coney Hill. In 1981 the two hospitals had over 900 beds.