|Building Style||Corridor Plan|
|Architect(s)||George Gilbert Scott & William Bonython Moffat|
|Location||Clifton Moor, Yorkshire|
Originally opened as a joint asylum between the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire and also took in patients from the City of York until the 1860's. The East Riding patients left in 1872 when the asylum at Walkington opened and Clifton became fully occupied by the North Riding. Middlesbrough built their own asylum at Marton in 1898 and moved their patients too. Clifton was continually extended to meet demands of such a large county, although the population density was relatively low. After closure in 1994, the main building was demolished and replaced by a business HQ although other buildings such as the chapel remain in the grounds.
Clifton Hospital - An era by M.Haslam