Chippewa County Asylum
|Chippewa County Asylum|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||Chippewa Falls, WI|
|Architecture Style||Tudor Revival|
On August 2, 1894, a plan was made to build as insane asylum in Chippewa County. Construction began later that year and in 1895, a cornerstone was laid marking completion of the main building. The first patient was admitted December 26, 1895. By the end of 1896 they had a population of 110 patients. In 1877 the county decided to build a poor farm to house their indigents. By 1901 it was decided to abandon the farm & build a new home on asylum grounds. The county home was completed by 1902. Due to the increasing number of patients in 1930, a new home was built to house 60 patients. The old building was converted to be used by trusty insane male patients. In 1945 total patient capacity had reached 435, although actual population exceeded that number.
By 1950 it was decided to change the institutions name to "Chippewa County Hospital & Home". In 1967 the Chippewa County Board chose to build a new nursing home to house some of the old County Hospital's geriatric patients. The building was completed in 1970 with the first patient being admitted May 10, 1971. The name for the new building was "Golden Age Home" and had 193 beds. In October of 1974, the County Board voted to construct a new 160-bed building to replace the old County Home structure. The old
In 2019 it was recommended the hospital close due to severely declining fund. On March 13, the hospital closed permanently. Today the facility is operated by Dove Healthcare as a skilled nursing, post-hospital, short-term rehabilitation, long-term care, and end-of-life care.