Brooke Glen Hospital
|Brooke Glen Hospital|
|Building Style||Modern Plan|
|Location||7170 Lafayette Ave., Fort Washington, PA|
Brooke Glen Hospital, formerly the Northwestern Institute of Psychiatry, is an active psychiatric hospital located in Fort Washington, PA, not far from the city of Philadelphia. In its fifty year existence it became regionally notorious because of the growing number of patient abuse scandal, starting in the early 1990's. The site has also been frequently sued by Germantown Academy, which sits across the street from the hospital, as a number of escaped patients flee to the grade school to hide.
Founded in 1966, the Northwestern Institute, is a fully licensed and accredited 146 bed private psychiatric facility. 'The Institute' was never affiliated with the more renown Institute of the Pennsylvania Hospital, which was formerly located only a few miles away in West Philadelphia. The name was formally changed in 2004 as a move in improving the facility's public image, following a number of lawsuits regarding patient abuse, neglect, fraud and the sexual employment of a number of patients. It is currently owned by medical conglomerate United Healthcare Services (UHS), along with: Friends Hospital and Horsham Clinic.
The assault arrest of psychiatric technician Jackie Glover, 35, of the 1300 block of Farrington Road, Philadelphia, Aug. 5 is the fourth so far at the facility. According to an Aug. 6 press release from the county District Attorney's office, in November 2002, psychiatric technician Eugene Stallworth was convicted of charges involving a sexual encounter with a 16-year-old female inpatient. In April 2003, psychiatric technicians Alexander DeMary and William Harper were arrested and charged with institutional sexual assault and related charges involving a sexual encounter with two female inpatients, a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old, respectively, at Northwestern.
Brooke Glen in the News
- Facility facing abuse rap keeps license Northwestern Institute of Psychiatry must show corrections after allegations that staff members had sex with patients
- Ardent Health Services Purchases The Northwestern Institute of Psychiatry
- Friends, Brooke Glen Behavioral Hospital parent subpoenaed
- Psychiatry Institute Sued Over Kickbacks
- Hospital's owners hope for new start The former Northwestern Institute in Fort Washington is getting fresh policies, big renovations and a new name
- Psychiatric Center Pays $540,000 In Settlement Involving Fraud Case
- Followup on Psych Scandal at Northwestern Institute
- Phila. health facility documents subpoenaed
- say that psych hospital staff covered up sexual assaults
- Friends Hospital
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Philadelphia State Hospital
- Norristown State Hospital
- Episcopal Hospital
- Horsham Clinic