Arapaho Manual Labor and Boarding School
|Arapaho Manual Labor and Boarding School|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The first school was opened at the Darlington Agency on the Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation in 1871 by the Hicksite (Liberal) Friends and Orthodox Quakers and was called the Cheyenne-Arapaho Boarding School. In 1872, the facility was built with federal funds, but run by the Quakers. Few Cheyenne children attended the school. In an effort to attract them, the Quakers erected partitions to divide the classroom into separate areas for the Arapaho and Cheyenne students.
In 1879 the facility was renamed as the Arapaho Manual Labor and Boarding School. A new facility was built at Caddo Springs for the Cheyenne students; it was called the Cheyenne Manual Labor and Boarding School . The Indian Service began its policy of forced assimilation through manual arts training and religious education (the "Pratt system"), and within 5 years, the agency schools reported that the student children were raising 211 cattle and hogs and cultivating 130 acres of land.
In 1875 John Homer Seger was appointed Superintendent. Seger was very successful in helping the students build up a herd of cattle to supplement meager institutional income. He remained with the schools until May 1882.
In 1908 both the Arapaho and Cheyenne boarding schools were closed, and the government sold these facilities. The Darlington Agency was also closed and was relocated to the new Concho Indian Boarding School in 1909.