Albany Hospital for Incurables
|Albany Hospital for Incurables|
|Building Style||Single Building|
When the house was built, in 1845, it was south of Albany's city limits, in the Town of Bethlehem. William Walsh and his wife were part of the city's wealthy aristocracy. The house was purchased in 1902 by Eleanor Spensley, who had founded the Hospital for Incurables in downtown Albany 20 years earlier. She died two months later. For hospital purposes the roof was raised and dormer windows added.
In that form, the Hospital for Incurables continued operating in the house until 1973. After it was closed the two rear wings were demolished. It remained vacant, owned by the hospital, until sometime after it was listed on the Register in 1974 when the Addictions Care Center of Albany acquired the property. The roof was completely replaced with a flat roof and modern sliding windows were installed. It is now the Reilly House, a sober living environment that can hold up to 12 men at a time.
Addendum: The main house was demolished by the Albany Citizens Council on Alcoholism as it was non-salvagable. The ACCA maintained the back unit home, which was originally nurses residences for those employed at the hospital. This was concerted into a man's halfway residence for addiction and recovery. Another building, originally used for storage of maintenance eguipment, housed self help meetings. In the late 90's both buildings were demolished and a new facilty, housing the residential facility, outpatient services and administrative offices, was built. It openened sometime in the early 200's and still operates today. NMcGahay